Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The benefits of owning a rarely read blog

I am a proud owner of a blog.

I started pretty late, in fact from this June. It was more of a solution to pass away my idle time in office and so the posts were mostly private and hence unreadable. I used to think of it as a e-diary of sorts- only its open to all.

The web is a mystery. Its open to all but yet it hides so much.

There are so many blogs out there that I know for sure no one unfamiliar would even bother to check this one out. For effect, the name that I chose is too cheesy- "free from boredom" and the stern message that accompanies it is hardly a nice welcome doormat.

A month or so passed. No one ever found out. But then Google (Search) dumped me.

One of my friends found out. She told others. And then a lot of people knew. Even office colleagues got the drift.

Suddenly a few comments began to appear on my posts.

It felt good.

It was almost as if people were appreciating my new suit, watch, car...

But then it stopped.

The comments dried up. People became bored of my slow harangues. I mean there is nothing I write that makes sense. Its purely dry and pedestrian.

I was left alone.

With my blog.

So here I am. Writing for the sake of it. Writing because I feel like. And keeping my blog alive, so even if someone pounces on it, the natural curiosity in us compels him/her to check it out and if I'm really lucky, post a comment.

But is this really bad?

Well, it allows me to write on anything without offending/disturbing others. And I'll be damned if I say this but this also allows me to edit the blog time and again to smooth en out the posts and remove the errors. Me no perfectionist but I do get bothered by anything that sticks out and can be changed.

That is one liberty I'd have to give up if this blog ever became popular. And Id' have to be politically correct, gender-sensitive etc etc as well as linguistically correct.

Blah!

Too much of a responsibility!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Not sure why you are so bitter about CESP, which was really a great experience for many of us. Nonetheless, guess it is the very nature of a JNU education that one learns to think freely. And that;s a lot.