Thursday, September 13, 2007

Where is the alternative?

On my way to office, I managed to catch glimpses of the world outside. It was calm,serene and ravishingly beautiful (I'm talking about the Noida-Greater Noida expressway here and not Noida, mind you!). The sweet smell of wet vegetation entered my nostrils and as the wind swept by my face, I drew a long sigh.

Makes me wonder...

Am I wasting the best years of my life? waking up early, getting ready, reaching office, tuck into a chair and stare at the computer for ten hours?

Its not as if I'm changing the world. My work does not alleviate poverty. All that nonsense about trickle-down won't work with me because I know economics. The real one, that is.

So here I am. Not changing the world and not having fun either.

But still getting paid.

And that, my friends, is the root cause of the problem. The payroll account has enabled me to raise my standard of living considerably.

Really?

Lets ponder over this. Yes, I have gained access to outrageously priced restaurants. Gradually I am becoming enveloped by gadgets- all bought by me and not by my folks. There is a sense of pride in that. I can think of the future, raise a family and this that.

I never had it better than this?

You gotta be kidding me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At last somebody wrote that.
Thanks Abhirup.

"Not changing the world and not having fun either."
btw, why can't changing the world be as much fun? It is..it's just that you don't have many people joining you..but that's another opportunity to 'invent' fun..what sayeth?
Mallika

Abhirup Saha said...

I agree. My internship with UNICEF did nothing to change the world but yes, it was some work in that direction and it was fun. There were hundreds of people all over the world doing more or less than the same thing- building case studies to help UNICEF make better recommendations.
I have lost in touch with most of the people I got acquainted with during that summer but I had fun!
So I agree.