Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Cubicle Diaries II: Alienation?

Traversing through the corporate realm, I cannot feel but alienated sometimes. To convince myself (my blog does not boast of any readers) , let me recount two particular instances-
  • Recently I heard the story of a fellow who just disappeared without a trace. He left his reasonably well paying job, the fast lanes of Delhi and his parents for a cult somewhere in the bowels of Middle India. Everyone knew his devotion to the cult (many a times colleagues and friends have noticed that) but no one guessed this would happen. While I discussed with some people I know, they all seemed to agree that the guy may be a little loony and such an action is certainly irresponsible. I am yet to find someone who thought the decision was mysterious and to an extent, required courage
  • Interpretation of films has become a source of major irritation. The blatant labeling of brilliant movies like "Dark Knight" and "Fight Club" as action movies is somehow unacceptable to me. Sure they had elements of action, but the underlying theme was nothing but a direct contest between good and evil, embellished by car chases, kick-ass action and pyros. Yet otherwise smart men (boasting of impeccable degrees, certifications and work performance) do so. Why are people so lackadaisical in their attempt to understand mediums of entertainment?

The general reception to radical ideas are still met with ridicule, and at best skepticism. Reconciliation with such attitudes are extremely difficult. Why is everyone so dismissive?

Running away from it all requires conviction. The reason I have reserved my admiration for the runaway fellow's action is that, needless of how it finally turns out to be, the decision needed courage. And the execution a kind of daring that I can only dream of.

Despite all the talk, I have myself settled into a stasis that can hardly be shaken by anything. Only perturbed by events that somehow effect me, the whole spirit of idealism has been grinded to dust and everything seems past now.

The past in itself an alien world. I hardly reflect back- and I am yet to understand why.

Perhaps alienation works in many ways. One alienates from oneself, as well as from others

No comments: