Saturday, June 27, 2009

General Reflections

It feels as if the flu is into me, gnawing at the very essence of me, my mind.
Watched Hitch last night, and as with the other notable Will Smith movie of recent years, it made me question my existence as it is now.
Hitch and the Pursuit of Happyness both stress on the importance of living beyond the ordinary: to seek out and claim the most important conquest of them all, love.
Will of Pursuit led his life to secure the future of himself and his kid, driven by the love for his son. He could have just as easily fell into a vortex of guilt, rage and frustation and sunk deeper into depression. He could have easily been a bum who lives off the street and sings out loud when someone passes by; just to make the other guy know what he's been through and what he thinks of the world. But he did not. He chose change.
Hitch is obviously not even remotely comparable to Pursuit. It's a movie with a much lighter vein, based on the subject of tackling the modern-day cynicism in relationships. It could have dealt this more seriously but chose not to, and insteaddrowned itself in candyfloss. Not that I hold that in contempt. Somehow I've come to realise not every movie has to make a point and that too seriously. Hitch can make analert guy think. And then he's free to comment and reflect. It's an encouragement rather than a thesis.
It certainly made me ponder. It's been too long trying to be a lone wolf.
There was a time, not too long ago, when I used to fall in love with any woman I see. It still happens, if only for a glance. Then the realities sink in, and the differencesamplify and the longing disappears. What makes it worse that I've chosen to be aneccentric type, which makes it difficult for me to adjust to an ordinary life, which most women seem to like to live.
Get real. Which chick would like to run off to the Sahyadris every weekend?
But perhaps the issue is deeper than that. Why is it that I like to run away?

1 comment:

All Talk and No Action said...

Hmm.. So, is this common to all mountaineers ? Running away?