Monday, January 21, 2008

Judgement?

Imagine this:

In a small village deep into the Indian hinterland, a senior government official has been caught in a compromising situation with a tribal woman. Enraged tribals take swift action- they maim the perpetrator of sexual exploitation.

Some of us would nod and say "justice done". Some would be shocked at both the events and wonder what the world is coming to. Some (most?) would ignore the news as unimportant to the larger scheme of things. I'd be darn confused.

I can never think of having a physical act with a tribal woman. It's not because I'm a morally uptight young man who holds great promise for himself and the nation. It's because of the doctrine of class.

It is my indoctrination that prevents me from looking at tribal or any working class "lady" in a lustful manner. I cannot get myself to imagine such a thing- its beyond sacrilege. I am clear about their position in my mind- insignificant.

But here is someone who has transcended such a boundary and made love to an inferior class. As long as it is a consensual act, how is he to be blamed? Doesn't it deserve praise, if not emulation? Certainly not reproach, or punishment.

I am not sure about this as I am not sure about most things. The power system in a village is unknown to me. In spite of generalities, what if in a solitary incident, there was no co-ercion involved?

No comments: